Pages

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Stained Glass Hearts


Stained Glass Hearts!

I just took the time to photograph these beautiful stained glass hearts that my second graders completed just in time for Valentine's Day last month. This is one of those projects I just can't get enough of- it's SO easy with incredibly gorgeous results. The materials couldn't be more simple- scraps from the laminater and permanent marker I learned this easy stained glass technique from my now retired mentor, Winifred Bonner.
Here's what we did:
Day 1:
1. I passed out photocopies of the large heart shape to each student. Students chose one shape from a selection of stencils and traced overlapping shapes to fill their heart.
2. Next, we taped a piece of laminating film (I put a box in the teacher workroom for to collect large scraps) over the design.
3. Students begin coloring in the shapes with colored sharpies- being careful to find the "new" shapes made from the overlapping.
Day 2:
1. Finish coloring the inside of the heart shape with colored sharpie.
2. Trace around all shapes with black sharpie.
3. Cut around heart shape.
I usually run the hearts through the laminater to so that I can get them displayed quickly and to protect the marker. The students have a blast making these and everyone at school always enjoys the result!









2 comments:

  1. Bonjour, c'est très joli. Quels feutres avez-vous utilisé s'il vous plaît ?

    ReplyDelete