Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Mexican Suns





These Mexican Suns were a huge hit. 3rd graders floored me in this project! I wanted to cover radial balance and the colorful art of Mexican tinwork. The results were breathtaking, especially when displayed as a group. Students created a relief sculpture on tin using dull pencils and other tools. They worked from the front pressing the tin in (chasing) and also from the back pressing the tin out (repousse) to create maximum depth. They were encouraged to add textures and patterns in thier design. Finally, they added color with colored sharpie.

I was trying to think of where I got this lesson and I believe I ended up meshing ideas from ceramic sun lessons and images of images of art from Mexico.

1 comment:

  1. What kind of tin did you use? where did you get it? :) beautiful

    ReplyDelete